So…yeah. Three hours was all I needed to research and write the first draft, and then edit that draft down to below the maximum word count. I left myself a 20-word cushion in case their word counter counts differently than I did (as I counted by hand.)
This makes me very happy. Part of it came from an idea quickly coming together, I know, but I’m glad to know that I can still pull it together when I need to. (I’ve started to doubt myself sometimes, given how long it’s taking to beat my manuscript into shape.)
I haven’t submitted my entry yet, though. I’m going to let it sit for a bit. Maybe I’ll tweak it or rewrite it later. I’m going back to it after my shift tonight.